Sparta Historical Architecture.
The historical development of Sparta is reflected in it’s architectural heritage, most evident in the buildings dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Water Street Commercial Historic District is significant as a result of the intensive architectural and historic survey undertaken in 1989-1990. Building on the National historic Register are the Monroe County Courthouse (circa 1896) Sparta Free Library (circa 1902) the United State Post Office (circa 1915) and the Monroe County Museum Complex, formerly the Masonic Temple (circa 1922-1923). There are still many of the Historical Homes standing in the area as well. There are many more historic homes in Sparta feel free to contact us for tour routes and descriptions.
Sparta is home to two museums. The Deke Slayton Space & Bicycle Museum has on it’s display Wisconsin’s only Moon Rock. The museum is a progression of transportation from the first bicycles, the Wright Brother’s Bicycle Shop and the Wright Flyer, exploring Monroe County’s rich aviation history and into outer space with Mercury 7 Astronaut Donald Kent “Deke” Slayton. There are over 200 bicycle exhibits from the very 1st style of bicycles, to modern day bicycles.
The Monroe County History Room & Museum is a full history of the Sparta area with displays of days gone by. The Monroe County Museum offers history exhibits and special programs. Permanent exibits and regularly changing displays illustrate past live and experiences of Monroe county people, pioneer history, agriculture, military history, industry, business and the home. To find out more information about the Deke Slayton Memorial Space & Bicycle Museum please click here
The Wegner Grotto
Started in 1929, The Wegner Grotto in the midst of the Monroe County countryside north of Sparta. It’s an unusual but beautiful site a fantastic garden of concrete sculpture decorated with thousands of glittering glass shards. It was purchased by the Kohler Foundation in 1986 as part of it’s commitment to the documentation and preservation of significant outsider art environments and folk architecture.
The Historic Four Corners
Come visit one of the more unique squares in Wisconsin. The Historic Four Corners holds the Monroe County Courthouse, the Sparta Post Office, the Sparta Free Library (a Carnegie Library) and the old Masons Temple, now being used as two museums, the Deke Slayton Memorial Space & Bicycle Museum and the Monroe County History Room. You are sure to enjoy the archetecture and the history of this wonderful location.